Isle of Wight -
Gatcombe is a
village and civil parish on the Isle of Wight. It is located four
kilometres from Newport in the centre of the island. St. Olave's
Church, Gatcombe was dedicated in 1292, serving as chapel to
Gatcombe House. The Gatcombe parish was established in 1560.
A carved wooden effigy of Edward Estur, a local knight who fought in
the Crusades, is in the church.
In 1907, a contract was signed that ensured that properties older
than 1907 in Gatcombe and nearby Chillerton would receive free
water, while newer homes receive it at a reduced rate. In 2009
Southern Water proposed that everyone to pay the same rate, claiming
that the reasoning behind the initial pact is now invalid, as the
costs for the original project have since been paid off.
Public transport is provided by Southern Vectis bus route 6, which
runs between Newport and Ventnor.
Tel: 01983 721202
Parlour is the largest of the cottages for larger families (why
not bring granny and grandpa?).
has three bedrooms, one with 3ft twin beds, one double with cot and
children's room with 3ft bunk beds.
large kitchen is a dream with pine units, large pine table and ample
seating and colour TV. Fully equipped with oven, hob, microwave,
washer/dryer, fridge and freezer.
The Stable, originally horse stables and coach house, was the
first conversion, being completed in 1994.
Completely on ground level, with only two steps and parking close to
main entrance, it is suitable for the elderly, partially disabled or
Accommodation is in one double room with en-suite shower and one
twin bedded room with adjoining bathroom.
Dairy is a charming cottage, ideal for a small family, two
couples or that special anniversary.
There are two bedrooms, one double with large en-suite shower room,
the other with full sized twin beds and en-suite bathroom.
cosy living room/kitchen is fully equipped with oven, hob microwave,
fridge/freezer, washer/dryer and, of course, colour TV.
website Email us
Be the 1st Self Catering to appear in
Be the 1st Guest House/B&B to appear in