Penryn is a
civil parish and town in Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. It is
situated on the Penryn River about 1 mile (1.6 km) northwest of
Falmouth. The population was 7,166 in the 2001 census.
Although latterly overshadowed by nearby Falmouth, Penryn was once
an important harbour in its own right throughout the medieval period
exporting granite and tin.
Penryn is one of Cornwall's most ancient towns with a wealth of
history . These lands appear in Domesday Book under the name of "Trelivel".
Penryn was founded in 1216 by the Bishop of Exeter. The borough was
enfranchised and its Charter of Incorporation was made in 1236. The
contents of this Charter were embodied in a confirmation by Bishop
Walter Bronescombe in the year 1259. In 1265, a religious college,
called Glasney College was built in Penryn for the Bishop of Exeter
to develop the church's influence in the far west of the diocese. In
1374, the chapel of St Thomas (sometimes called St Mary's) was
opened. Standing at the head of the Penryn River, Penryn occupies a
sheltered position and was a port of some significance in the 15th
Calamankey Holiday Centre
Tel: 01209 860314 / 07831 797723
Calamankey is a traditional working sheep farm with a caravan &
camping site holiday center near Falmouth at the base of the Lizard.
It is set in open countryside with views across rolling hills to St
Mawes and the Roseland Peninsular beyond.
Established in 1946 as a campsite now has five static caravans added
and is ideally suited for family holidays.
campsite is set in a large two acre gently sloping meadow
overlooking open countryside with views across rolling hills to the Fal estuary,
St Mawes and the Roseland Peninsular beyond.
farm keeps two flocks of Westcountry sheep, Llamas, horses, working
sheep dogs and some poultry which are of constant interest to
children staying on holiday.
Be the 1st Self Catering to appear in
Be the 1st Guest House/B&B to appear in